Wednesday, June 29, 2011

7 Days to Better Brain Power with Music! - Day 2

So Day 1 talked about listening to your favorite music.  Have you spent some time finding some great music to load onto your iPod?  While I was working yesterday, I turned on Pandora Radio to the choral music channel and listened to the glorious voices sing great choral works. It was so uplifting to hear the sounds I love and I found myself singing along and having a wonderful time  . . and getting a lot done, too!

So what's next?  Here's another way to boost your brain power through music:


2.       Learn to play a musical instrument.  
You’re never too old, or young, really, to learn a new instrument.  And doing so is tremendously beneficial to the brain.  Why? Because learning something new increases the “plasticity” of the brain
What?  Is my brain plastic?  No, it means that the brain continues to be able to learn new things as it ages, and can even regain lost use after damage caused by disease or injury.
We used to think the brain was pretty well set after childhood, but recent brain research shows the brain continues to change and adapt into adulthood.  We now know the brain has enormous capacity and learning an instrument as an adult is not only possible, but may greatly enhance your cognitive abilities!  Call that guitar teacher whose business card you tucked away in a drawer – now is the time to dust off that 6-string and strum away!  I learned guitar after turning 50, so if I can do it, you certainly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment